7 Russian Athelets Suspended From the Olympics.
- 7 Russian athletes busted for doping by IAAF - 07/31/08 - Seven Russian female athletes, including an indoor world record holder and a two-time world champion, were provisionally suspended Thursday by the IAAF for doping-related matters.
- Yelena Soboleva, who set a world record in the 1,500-meter race at the 2008 indoor world championships, was one of the seven charged "for a fraudulent substitution of urine which is both a prohibited method and also a form of tampering with the doping control process."
- Two-time world 1,500 champion Tatyana Tomashova was suspended.
- Middle-distance runners Yulia Fomenko, Svetlana Cherkasova and Olga Yegorova,
- Hammer thrower Gulfiya Khanafeyeva
- Discus thrower Darya Pishchalnikova.
Soboleva, Khanafeyeva and Pishchalnikova were on the Russian team's roster for the Beijing Olympics, according to the Web site of the European Athletics Federation.