- United States (also known as USA) track star in 2008 at age 24.
- Originally from Garfield, Kansas and Kansas State and moved to Eugene.
- Dramatic dive earns underdog an Olympic spot - 07/04/08 - This drama doesn't need to be put into perspective by some ungodly number on a stopwatch.
- Smith basically lost his entire 2007 season when his appendix ruptured, an infection set in and he sat hunched over in his house, with an abscess the size of a cantaloupe in his abdomen.
- "If you miss a year and come back, it's going to take time," said coach Frank Gagliano of Smith's new training group, the Oregon Track Club. "And it took time. But the big stage brought out what Christian is made of."