Pittsburgh marbles champions head to finals in New Jersey
- June 07, 2008, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
After prevailing in the Allegheny County Parks Department marbles tournament, four area children will compete for the National Marbles Championship in June 2008.
The three-day tournament in the county courthouse courtyard ended with the top two boys and girls -- out of more than 360 competitors -- advancing to the 85th annual national championships June 16-19 in Wildwood, N.J.
- John Leffakis, 14, of Lawrenceville, was crowned champion
- Nathan Narr, 13, of Lawrenceville, was the runner-up.
- Amber Ricci, 12, of Glenshaw, finished first
- Penelope Bauer, 11, of Bloomfield, came in second.
- Alexandra Bauer -- Penelope's older sister -- won the girls' division of the national championship.
- Keith Moss of the South Side was crowned boys' national champion.
- Jamie Miller of the South Side won the boys' national championship in 2005.
- Cousin of Jamie Miller is Carly Miller, was the girls' national champion in 2004.