- NBC to get Costas out of studio in Beijing - 07/16/08 - NEW YORK (AP) -- Bob Costas will be back in Beijing for his seventh Olympics as prime-time host of NBC Sports' coverage, but this time he'll be getting out a little more.
- NBC offers wide online access for Beijing - 06/28/08 - NEW YORK (AP) -- NBC is making more than 2,200 hours of live competition from Beijing available online, giving Olympic junkies more action than they could ever devour in a day.
- Well written articles and some good interviews too.
Nick Zaccardi: A look inside one of the greatest entry-level jobs in sports media
02/15/13 -- They dub it the greatest entry-level job in sports media. NBC Sports gives a handful of 20-somethings a cell phone, a credit card and a recorder and tell them to travel the world. http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/-olympics/news/20130215/nbc-olympic-researchers/index.html
2008 Olympics Final numbers
- Posted By: Ben Waggoner | Oct 19th @ 9:49 PM
During the 17 days of the games, the site had:
- 51.9 million unique visitors (106% more than Athens and Torino combined)
- 1.3 billion page views
- 75.5 million video streams initiated (601% more than Athens and Torino combined)
- 9.9 million hours of video watched (equivalent of 1,126 years of video).
- More than 27 minutes per user average viewing time (compared to 3 minutes for sites using other streaming video technologies)
- from Perkins Miller, Senior Vice President, Digital Media, NBC Sports and Olympics:
- “NBC had plans to create the most ambitious online video event in history — more than 2,200 hours of Olympic coverage in 25 sports in less than 17 days – with 3,500 hours on demand. NBC needed to ensure the experience was versatile, stable, and — above all — engaging and entertaining.”
- NBC Sports chose Silverlight 2 because “with such a vast number of events and hours of live and on-demand video, we needed a scalable, flexible platform that would deliver an immersive and engaging experience.”
- Beyond the NBC in the USA, Silverlight was used for Olympics coverage in other countries, including:
- France (FranceTV)
- Netherlands (NOS)
- Russia (Sportbox.ru)
- Italy (RAI)
- Silverlight was a great coming-of-age story for Silverlight as we prepared to launch Silverlight 2. The“does Silverlight scale” and “will customers install it” questions have largely gone away in the last couple of months.