- Mario Lemieux
- Marc-Andre Fleury, goalie in 2008
- Evgeni Malkin signed a five-year contract extension starting with the 2009-10 season.
"We are very excited to have Evgeni signed to a long-term contract," said General Manager Ray Shero. "This is an important signing for our franchise and the city of Pittsburgh and we commend Evgeni on his commitment to the future of the franchise and the city. This signing continues to ensure the young core of this team can stay intact for years to come".
- Marian Hossa departed the Penguins in July 2008. The Detroit Red Wings signed Hossa to a one year deal worth $7.4 million.
- Mark Eaton had surgery to repair a torn knee ligament in January, 2008, but is expected to be ready for training camp in the fall of 2008.
- The Penguins signed free agent, forward, Mark Godard an enforcer-type, which probably signals the end of Georges Laraque's career in Pittsburgh.
- Penguins' Malkin Extends; Hossa, Ruutu Leave Pittsburgh - The Pittsburgh Penguins lost two players, but signed another big
player to a long-term deal on Wednesday.
The quest for the third consecutive Standley Cup in 2018 did not happen as the team got eliminated from the playoffs in the quarter finals.