- Part of the Pittsburgh Public Schools
- http://www.pps.k12.pa.us/pst/site/default.asp = the PPS site for Sci-Tech
- FAX: 412-622-5991
- Principal: Mr.Shawn McNeil
- Mr.James McCoy (Director)
- 107 Thackeray Street, Pittsburgh, PA 15213
Pittsburgh Science & Technology Academy is where any student with an interest in science, technology, engineering, or math can develop skills for a career in life science, environmental science, computing, or engineering. The curriculum is tailored to students who have a passion for science, technology, engineering or math.
The environment is to have extraordinary support for students, parents, and faculty. School exists to provide opportunities for students to Dream. Discover. Design. Students set goals and generate ideas, research and discover answers, and design solutions for the kinds of real-world problems that they’ll face after graduation. The Academy (SciTech) is located in the heart of Oakland at the historic Frick building. This location gives access to Pittsburgh's universities and resources in science, technology, engineering and math.
SciTech opened on September 3, 2009 with 250 students in grades 6, 7, 8 and 9.
One grade level will be added each year until SciTech reaches its 550 student capacity in grades six through twelve.
Letter to EditorEdit
- Elizabeth Bujdos formerly taught at Steel Valley High School and is now manager of volunteer and guest services at UPMC East (firstname.lastname@example.org). She lives in Lincoln Place. http://www.post-gazette.com/opinion/Op-Ed/2014/11/01/First-Person-Sci-Tech-shines/stories/201411010018
The PPS site for SciTech said in October 2010: One grade level will be added each year until SciTech reaches its 550 student capacity in grades six through twelve.  The ideal enrollment for the high school grades is 100 per class and the middle school grades are 50 per class .
|Grade level||Grade 6||Grade 7||Grade 8||Grade 9||Grade 10||Grade 11||Grade 12|
For PIAA considerations, the high school enrollment at Sci Tech would be 400 students in grades 9, 10, 11 and 12 with 200 boys and 200 girls.
Wiki chart of enrollmentEdit
|Template Name||Enrollment #||source|
|/HS boys||218 (grades 6-10)||via PPS|
|/HS girls||116 (grades 6-10)||via PPS|
|/9+10+11 boys||55 (freshmen)||via PIAA|
|/9+10+11 girls||42 (freshmen)||via PIAA|
|/ideal combined||400 in HS||via reformers|
|/ideal boys||200 in HS||via reformers|
|/ideal girls||200 in HS||via reformers|
- PIAA Enrollment Figures with Last Enrollment Date of October 15, 2009, as school would have only had freshmen then.
- Total Enrollment = 97
- Female Enrollment = 42
- Male Enrollment = 55
- Shows info for Sci Tech from PPS site about grades 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10 from snapshot of October 2010.
|American Indian:||2 (0.60%)|
|Male Students:||218 (65.27%)|
|Female Students:||116 (34.73%)|
Pipeline and feeder pattern implications include:
Note coaches, team page links, class size per team, records and status reports, facilities used, possible classifications of PIAA and WPIAL, rivals.
- PIAA shows boys golf, class AAAA, as the only sport as of October 2010.
Music, Drama, AcademicsEdit
In building surroundingsEdit
- Locker areas:
- Parks, fields, and other venues within a 20-minute walking distance for team and community use.
- Engineering reviews
- Wonderful student lounge on main floor of the school. Fine place to be social or do some homework before practice.
- Engineering magnet
- Japanese is taught.
- In school
- Computer labs
- Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh branches:
- Input welcomed. Edit me.