Pittsburgh based[edit | edit source]
: source April 2017 from PPSBOE.net[edit | edit source]
Pittsburgh Public Schools Provides Scholarships to Deserving Graduating Seniors[edit | edit source]
- Deadline for Scholarship Application: Monday, April 10, 2017
Criteria for eligibility for scholarships:[edit | edit source]
- Official graduation from Pittsburgh Public Schools High School during the 2016-2017 school year.
- Acceptance by an accredited university, college, or vocational/technical school.
- Completion of scholarship application, including transcripts and letters of recommendation. * Incomplete or late applications will not be considered.
Application Process:[edit | edit source]
- Obtain an application from the high school counselor’s office or from the website, Pittsburgh Public School District Scholarship Application.
- Obtain two letters of recommendation. One letter of recommendation must be from a high school teacher from whom you’ve taken a class so he or she can address your academic potential and achievement. (Coaches, administrators, staff, and aides cannot write a teacher recommendation unless you’ve taken a class from them.)
- Include a one-page Written Statement which outlines your future educational and vocational/career goals and how you plan to use the scholarship money.
Request THREE copies of your official high school transcript and SAT and ACT scores from the school counselor’s office.
- Complete application includes scholarship application, two letters of recommendation, transcript (3), and SAT and ACT scores due by the deadline of Monday, April 10, 2017. Submit
- TWO COPIES of your scholarship application to your High School’s/6-12 Guidance Counselor’s Office AND a copy to the Finance Department (Attn: Pamela Capretta, Finance Department, Pittsburgh Public Schools, 341 S. Bellefield Ave, Pittsburgh, PA 15213).
Some scholarships have specific requirements for the letters of recommendation; be sure to follow each scholarship requirements. Failure to have letters of recommendation that do not meet requirements will exclude you from consideration. The same two letters of recommendation will satisfy the requirements for all of the local scholarships for which you apply. You do not need to have different letters for each scholarship as long as you meet any specific requirements of the scholarship holder.
These scholarships will be awarded based on quality of application and how well the applicant meets the criteria. High school grades, SAT/ACT scores, and financial need will be considered but will not be the only criteria for many of the scholarships being awarded locally.
All scholarship recipients will be notified by June 1, 2017. Scholarships must be used within 12 months of award date for education-related expenses. All recipient’s AND their parents must sign the Scholarship Terms of Agreement.
Please indicate the scholarships for which you wish to be considered as an applicant. You will be considered for all scholarships for which your application appears to make you eligible.
Scholarships Available[edit | edit source]
- ALLDERDICE SCHOLARSHIP (Eligible students attend Allderdice High School, have a job outside of school, and have a G.P.A. of 2.5 or higher. 6 winners total: (3) $1,000 and (3) $500 awardees
- ALLEGHENY WAR OLIVER SCHOLARSHIP (Eligible students are North Side residents and/or attend a school in the North Side - $2,000 - $4,000)
- BARBARA STANDARD CHARITABLE TRUST (Eligible students are fatherless females wishing to gain vocational or other educational training designed to help support themselves $2,000 - $4,000)
- BENJAMIN PEABODY SCHOLARSHIP FUND (Eligible students attend Westinghouse or U-Prep High Schools)
- GALBRAITH MCFADDEN WEAVER- BRASHEAR SCHOLARSHIP (Graduating senior at Pittsburgh Brashear or a graduating senior who resides in the West End, that will attend a college or university, in need of financial aid.)
- DECA CHAPTER WESTINGHOUSE SCHOLARSHIP (Eligible students attend Westinghouse High School)
ELIZA DAVITT HARTLEY (Eligible to female students graduating from any Pittsburgh Public School. Currently held at PNC Trust $1,000 - $3,000)
- GEORGE KISEDA SCHOLARSHIP (Eligible to graduating African American Students from any Pittsburgh Public School. One-time $20,000 award based upon special essay on “Enthusiasm for Learning” required)
- RETIRED CENTRAL OFFICE ADM SCHOLARSHIP (Eligible students are Senior’s attending school in the education field, who have a minimum G.P.A. of 3.0. (2) $1,000 scholarships will be awarded for a 2 or 4 year school and paid directly to the student. THE DEADLINE FOR THIS SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATION IS MAY 1ST, 2017.)
- WESTINGHOUSE SCHOLARSHIP (Eligible Students attend Westinghouse High School. Scholarships are available as follows: Completion of a Literature Search - $2,000.00, Completion of a Research Project - $4,000.00)