- Sportsmanship comes in two flavors at Swim & Water Polo Camp with the Digital Badges/Sportsmanship. One instance is when the badge is given out at the conclusion of a Game Day by consensus among peers. The other instance is at the end of the camp when the adults and coaches each give out their own award for sportsmanship.
Also see Digital Badges/Teamwork, a different badge.
Are there any resources that would help learners complete this XP?
- Enter Resource Title
- Repeat if desired.
Describe the evidence a learner must submit to complete this XP.
Set the Interest, Age, Participation, and Duration of your XP.
- Age Appropriateness
- LRNG LVL
- Estimated Duration
The Clemente Sportsmanship Digital Badge rewards the cultivation of a positive competitive disposition and the Teamwork Digital Badge rewards skillful teamwork in play and practice. Both are contingent on a coach-moderated, after-game reflection that challenges the athletes to identify teammates and opponents who are great-sports and displayed great teamwork. The discussions are post-game debriefs among the players and guided by the coaches of all the team. Accomplishments and failures are noted, in part, with coach direction. The day-to-day Digital Badges/Sportmanship hinges upon peer recognition for single athletes post-game by consensus, enabling rewards for players each match, each day, and each team. The badges go to those who exhibit outstanding sportsmanship and teamwork.
Every athlete has a chance to earn the recognition of fellow students at in the game-time situations. Every athlete could potentially be awarded the badges over the course of the summer.
At the end of the program, anyone who exhibits exemplary sportsmanship outside of the games can be awarded the badge by each of the coaches who have witnessed the behavior as more of a summative process.
Charts such as these are put on the various squad pages. Templates are expected at Digital Badges/Sportsmanship/Chart_Templates
Four Daily Sportsmanship BadgesEdit
All the players and coaches gather for one post-game huddle. Coaches lead discussion. Players speak to today's play for both teams, so that includes giving feedback that including the opponents. Consensus is desired. Photos are taken. Squad and individual pages on the wiki gets updated. Four players should be honored each game day. Chart can have player's names inserted as a link back to the various player's page.
for White Caps
for Dark Caps
for White Caps
for Dark Caps
June 30 (exampe date)
End of Season Sportsmanship BadgesEdit
The coaches, instructors, lifeguards and teachers deliver end of season awards for Digital Badges/Sportsmanship for both flavors among all the campers in each squad.
Fill in the blanks with people's names:
|Adult / Coach's Name||Clemente Sportsmanship||Teamwork Sportsmanship|
Junior Instructor 1
|Executive Head Coach|
|(fill in and expand as needed)|
Sportsmanship Description Edit
A badge to denote the upstanding character of the athlete earner.
This badge is awarded to exemplary individuals that exhibit outstanding character in their sporting events
Completion Time Edit
The badge can be earned quickly when the athletes come to a consensus between all teams that one of their own exhibits exemplary and/or consistent sportsmanship in play, or it can be slowly striven towards and awarded by the coaching staff at the end of the program when athletes have shown improvement over the duration that culminates in them exhibiting good sportsmanship on or off the field of play to the coaches.
Evaluation Criteria Edit
The athlete earns this badge after either:
- Earning a peer consensus sportsmanship honor, post match
- Being selected by a Swim & Water Polo Coach for sportsmanship over the course of the program that has both improved and is presently outstanding during competition
Badge Issuers Edit
Swim & Water Polo Coaches will issue this badge after either of the criteria are satisfied.
Summer Dreamers Swim & Water Polo coaches will be oriented in the City of Learning badging process during their initial training by the Summer Dreamer supervisors and management before the summer session. As part of this initiation, they will be made aware of the requirements for the Sportsmanship Badge and be taught how to perform the necessary evaluation to award the badge.
It will be a goal set in front of all the participants to earn this badge, encouraging the athletes to develop better character and encouraging fair and fun play in all of the competitions.
Because the criteria are subjective, awarding the badge is tricky with weight being placed on the shoulders of the coaches and their judgement. That's why there is also a peer consensus pathway to earn this badge, through, so subjectivity can't entirely be an worry for the athletes as to how they will be awarded the badge.
This badge will hopefully encourage more fun and fair play in the pool. It will also hopefully encourage self- and peer-reflection after games which is crucial moving forward in any competitive sport.
BADGE DESIGN TEMPLATEEdit
- Sportsmanship Badge
- Summer Dreamers Swim & Water Polo
In what program(s) can this badge be earned?Edit
- Any coached athletic program where the coaches both distribute badges and interact with the athletes enough to make informed, subjective judgements about their character.
Competency. What are you badging?Edit
- Empathy, Collaboration, Peer Assistance, Playful Learning
Evidence. What does it look like to demonstrate this competency?Edit
- To respect and treat all the other players on the field like fellow human beings, helping them, encouraging them, playing with them without any malicious or injurious action against any of the other players (on the same team or otherwise).
Activities. What activities produce the intended evidence of this competency?Edit
- Any social sporting activity, competitive or not.
Do you think of this as a: Check all that apply.Edit
- Disposition, a tendency to act or think in a certain way; a habit of mind.
Step 2: Badges build bridges to other opportunities. How does this badge connect to other offerings in the community?
- Every professional sport has awards with ethical flavor to them like the Roberto Clemente Award for baseball.
- In addition every refereeing organization for each sport trains the officials to encourage safety and good sportsmanship above all else in the games that they officiate.
At other organizations?Edit
- All youth sporting organizations can evaluate their student athletes for the requirements of this sportsmanship badge in addition to whatever practices they currently devote to encouraging good sportsmanship.
In your organization?Edit
- Summer dreamers includes other sporting opportunities like fencing that are similarly enhanced by the participants exhibiting good sportsmanship.
Name of Badge:Edit
- Sportsmanship Badge
Short Description (~50 characters):Edit
- A badge to denote the upstanding character of the athlete earner.
Remake Learning Focus Area (circle all that apply): CAREER READINESS CODING & GAMING DESIGN & MAKING
Formal Description (~160 characters):Edit
- This badge is awarded to exemplary individuals that exhibit outstanding character in their sporting events.
How long will it take to earn this badge?Edit
- The badge can be earned quickly when the athletes come to a consensus between all teams that one of their own exhibits exemplary and/or consistent sportsmanship in play, or it can be slowly striven towards and awarded by the coaching staff at the end of the program when athletes have shown improvement over the duration that culminates in them exhibiting good sportsmanship on or off the field of play to the coaches.
Who created this badge? (Name(s), role(s))Edit
- Adam Majewski, CLOH.org Badge Champion
Who will issue this badge? (Name(s), role(s))Edit
- For Summer Dreamers Swim & Water Polo: the badge will either be issued by a consensus of the peers when after matches they elect their best sport (and the same athlete receives the honor a second time). Additionally, the badge may be awarded at the end of the program by the Swim & Water Polo Coaches for each individual if they subjectively determine that the athlete has shown exemplary sportsmanship in or out of the pool.
How and when will the issuer evaluate whether a student earned this badge? What are the criteria for earning the badge?Edit
- Two or more total peer consensus sportsmanship honors, post matches
- At the end of the program when a Swim & Water Polo Coach evaluates each athlete for their sportsmanship over the course of the program and determines that the athlete has both improved in their conduct and presently competes exhibiting exemplary sportsmanship.
(URL, Text, Photo, Video, Audio)
How, when, and by whom will badge issuers and evaluators be trained?Edit
- The Swim & Water Polo Coaches will be trained by the management and supervisors at the beginning of the program and will be instructed to keep an eye out for and encourage good sportsmanship from all the program participants.
Will the evaluation be ongoing (formative) or at the end of the program (summative)?Edit
- FORMATIVE - When attained through peer consensus
- SUMMATIVE - When awarded by the coaches at the end of the program
Circle the method by which this badge will be assessed:Edit
Remake Learning Competency (please identify the competency or competencies most aligned with this badge):Edit
(circle all that apply):
Will earning this badge be a goal/requirement for all participants in your program?Edit
- Yes it will be a goal set in front of all the participants to earn this badge, encouraging the athletes to develop more magnanimous characters and encouraging fair and fun play in all of the competitions
Is this badge connected to other badges? If so, how?Edit
(e.g. a student must first earn another badge in order to be eligible to earn this badge, this badge can be earned separately from or concurrently with another badge, etc.)
What challenges might exist that hinder the issuing of this badge?Edit
- Since the quality and criteria are subjective, awarding the badge is tricky with weight being placed on the shoulders of the coaches and their judgement. That's why there is also a peer consensus pathway to earn this badge, through, so subjectivity can't entirely be an worry for the athletes as to how they will be awarded the badge.
What will success look like for your badging program?Edit
- If the badge encourages more fun and fair play in the pool, then it will have been a success. If a few athletes earn the badge through the group post-game reflection process, that would be icing on the cake as it would encourage self- and peer-reflection after games which is crucial moving forward in any competitive sport.
Technology Audit: What technology is available to support students in setting up online accounts?Edit
(i.e. full access to computers/tablets, partial access to computers/tablets, access to internet but no access to computers/tablets, no access to internet on program premises, etc.)
Additional Discussion PromptsEdit
(keep the conversation going with your Helpdesk member)